Sunday, January 28, 2007

Poetry vs. Poetic Language

In my own definition, poetry is somewhat of an art. It is a way one can express themselves from their own mind, life experiences, or feelings. I don't think poetry has to be honest, but it definitely should be true to oneself. Poetry doesn't necessarily have to have a definite form or structure. I feel that many different poets incorporate many different structures and styles into their own writing. Poetic language does not have to be written in prose. It can be used in many different types of writing, like novels, speeches, and essays. Poetic language uses many different devices such as similes, metaphors, personification, onomatopoeias, and alliteration. Lastly, I forgot to mention that poetry does not have to have a certain rhyme pattern; I just think that many people believe poetry has to rhyme but there are many great poems that do not rhyme.

No comments: